Fund for the Community. These powerful funds address the opportunities and challenges within Mason County. Each year, our Distribution Committee decides where these funds would have the largest impact in the community. As the community changes, so will the projects that your fund supports.
Donor Advised. Advised Funds are convenient, flexible tools for individuals, families, businesses, or groups that want to be actively involved in suggesting what community investments are made. Unlike other fund types, Advised Funds are not limited to the typical 4% annual distribution. As long as the $10,000 fund minimum is maintained, you can recommend grants of any size to any qualified, charitable organization – 501(c)(3), schools, churches, or municipalities. Read more about Donor Advised Funds below.
Field of Interest. Support the arts, education, youth, community beautification, health and human services, the environment, or whatever broad areas of interest you choose. Tell us what aspects of the community you care most about, and we’ll make grants from your fund to advance work being done in that field.
Designated. These funds support the specific nonprofit organization(s) that you, as the donor, designate. Perhaps your church, school, or another agency has made a significant impact on your life; a Designated Fund will allow you to continue to support these organizations even when you’re gone.
Scholarships. With a minimum gift of $25,000, a Scholarship Fund can help support students continuing their education. We’ll work with you to establish guidelines for eligibility, or you can leave it to us to determine where your award will fill the greatest community need and make the most impact.
Organization Endowment. These funds are typically started by a nonprofit to build endowment for their own organization. We manage the endowments of more than 100 Mason County nonprofits. These organizations receive regular grant distributions from their fund, while saving for the future.
Community Project. These non-endowed funds are created by groups who partner with us for help with administration of a specific program, capital campaign, or other service.
Build A Fund (BAF)—If starting a fund with $10,000 isn’t possible, any of these funds can begin as a Build A Fund started with a gift of 20% down and the goal of reaching the fund minimum within five years. Once the balance is sufficient, we’ll work with you to officially convert the fund into the type you desire, and grantmaking can begin.
Donor Advised Funds are popular, flexible vehicles for individuals, families, and businesses that streamline your giving and can boost community impact. You can think of it as your charitable giving account.
Creating a Donor Advised Fund takes $10,000 and a simple agreement that we draft with you to reflect your interests. There’s no additional paperwork, no fiduciary responsibilities, no IRS or investment worries. It’s just you and the causes you’re passionate about. You can make additional gifts to the fund with tax advantages and we’ll handle the fund administration, investments and tax reporting. We’ll keep you in the loop about emerging opportunities, critical needs and what’s happening in the community. Best of all, you can involve your family in your giving decisions, as you build a legacy for the future. To learn more, download our Donor Advised Fund Guidelines or contact us for more information.
How a Donor Advised Fund works:
- Create a fund with $10,000 or more (or start a Build A Fund with 20% down and use it to save up for your Advised Fund).
- Take a tax deduction whenever you add to your fund; recommend grants from it when there’s something you want to support.
- Grants can support any 501(c)(3) organization (also churches, schools and municipalities); we check out all recommended nonprofits before we put your grant to work.
- Choose to remain anonymous if you wish on a grant-by-grant basis.
- Get your family involved in giving, name your children as Successor Advisors to the fund, or honor your parents by creating a fund in their name.
- With corporate funds, you show the community that your business cares and, if you wish, you can involve your employees in choosing causes to support.
Contributing to your fund:
- Mail a check to our office at 119 S. Rath Ave, Ludington MI 49431
- Click here to give online via credit card
- Transfer appreciated stock—use this link or contact us with questions.
- Give real estate and other assets—please contact Andrea Large, 231-845-0326 or firstname.lastname@example.org.